mindrum's history

The name Mindrum is derived from the Ancient British for Mountain Ridge and there are many references to Roman occupation at Mindrum, with farm records showing that 5 foot high Roman earthworks were ploughed out on the ridge in 1949 on government orders.

History of Mindrum

The name Mindrum is derived from the Ancient British for Mountain Ridge and there are many references to Roman occupation at Mindrum, with farm records showing that 5 foot high Roman earthworks were ploughed out on the ridge in 1949 on government orders.

Looking at records from 15th century maps, whilst Mindrum is not mentioned, Twinley Moss is, which is one of our fields containing a number of reed beds in what would have been a small high watershed beside the Old Horserigg Road.

As the depredations of the Border Rievers diminished, Mindrum became more affluent and the township began to grow, forming part of the Tankerville Estates until it was sold in 1919 to Charles Chartres, a hydro electric engineer who had learned his trade in India. Charles put in the hydro electric system in 1925 as the mains electricity did not arrive here until 1953, and added bay windows onto the façade of the house.

In the mid 1950s, the estate was bought by Pery Fairfax who was an early pioneer of the preservation of the environment. During the 1970s he resisted government pressure to increase production at the expense of the environment by refusing to dig up hedges and woodland which has benefitted the farm to this day.

Mindrum is now managed by Tom Fairfax, who is married to Miki with two children. Recently, Tom has been focussing on regenerative farming, including the organic conversion of the farm with soil health at the heart of the activities, alongside managing the other elements of the Mindrum Group ranging from garden openings for charity to holiday lets and commercial property portfolios alongside other business interests.